Fun And Colourful DIY Planter
The other day I was out in the studio and found some terracotta pots I bought a while ago and decided to give them a little fun make over. As you probably already know I absolutely love house plants but sometime I just put them in a plain pot and it doesn’t really add anything to the room. So I wanted to create something which would add a bit of fun, colour and pattern. Don’t be afraid to mix colours and prints with accessories you add to your space, it will leave you with an interesting space which will be to unique to you. So now it’s time for this very easy and simple DIY!!
YOU WILL NEED
A terracotta plant pot (size dependent on plant size)
Acrylic paint in your choice of colours (you can buy pre-mixed or mix your own)
Different paint brush sizes for design details.
Plant of your choice (I chose a succulent…of course!!)
- Firstly you will want to give the terracotta pot a little wipe with some kitchen roll just to make sure there is so dirt or dust on it which will affect your paint.
- Next it is time to mix your paint for the pot. I went for a pastel pink. It will take a few coats of paint to get a strong colour. Don’t worry about it being perfect as there will be a different texture to the pot depending on what brush you choose which I think adds to the design.
- You will want to let your pot dry for a few hours to make sure the acrylic paint is fully dry.
- After that you will want to mix your colours for your pattern, I mixed different shapes and brush strokes together to create a fun and colour print. If you want you can look on Pintrest to find some pattern ideas. But sometimes just mixing shapes works well. You will need to build the paint layers up to get a strong colour. Get creative and experiment with your patterns and colours.
- Finally let the paint dry, and then add your plant or succulent to the pot and you are done!! I have added mine to my bedside table and it looks so colourful and is adding a very unique touch. This would also make a lovely handmade gift for someone as well!!
I hope you have enjoyed this DIY because I really love making it!! Let me know in the comments if you have any ideas you would like to DIY. Also follow me on social media and blog lovin’ to stay up to date with my latest blog posts and exciting updates.